Wednesday, October 2, 2013

An End

If you have children, I am sure you have said, "if you would have just told me that to begin with you wouldn't be in so much trouble." I don't know about you but I really try and teach my children that if they do something wrong they should take responsibility so they can fix the situation and learn from it. The same goes for adults. My husband is in the Army and as old as it may get, at the end every exercise they have an After Action Review. The report includes, what was done, why, was it effective or not, and most importantly what did we learn from this. Whether it is our children or we as adults, learning should be continuous. An integral part of learning is being responsible. If we as people never take the blame for our actions how can any learning take place? After a comment was made on my blog that said I was using my children and discrimination as a scape goat from what really happened, I about hit the ceiling. If I thought I understood what had happened besides what I was told, this "situation" would have been resolved. I quickly made my call to end the silence and say, "I have no idea what you are talking about." I was just today told that the puppy was too hyper and not a right fit for our family with small children. I am not going to get into the whole telephone conversation but the end result is this: We were never told that the puppy was the issue for the adoption not going through, until I started blogging about discrimination. The only issues we were told about pertained to our daughter. I was told that the reason we weren't given more info was because our volunteer is not a good communicator. It was our fault we weren't given more info or a choice of another dog because I left crying and when my husband went back in and asked what happened, obviously angry, she told him,"she wasn't going to discuss it". We did receive an apology from Uma. In the end this is what my husband said and I truly hope it meant something to her "Hopefully your organization has reflected on what's happened and identified what went well, what went wrong, and what you can do to try and prevent this from happening again." I know we'll do several things differently next time should we choose to use a shelter/rescue group in the future. After our conversations today, we know where we stand and where they still stand. If you continue to share our story, please remember that our goal is to keep such a horrible event from happening to other families.

No comments: